My parents and Kenny had heard about an Amish plant auction held near our home, and since my mom and I both needed flowers for landscaping, we decided to check it out. It was a beautiful day and the auction only lasted about an hour and a half. It was very confusing at first, so I am glad that my mom has "auction experience" and did the bidding for us. We actually got the flowers that I really wanted, and my mom got the geraniums that she wanted. Go, Mom!
I got these four flowering baskets for only $32!
My mom got the other four hanging baskets and you can see her geraniums here. We filled up the entire back of her van with flowers.
I loved seeing all of the Amish people today. The kids were adorable! When my mom went to the office to pay, I started to load up the flowers. I was approached by a little Amish girl that was about nine years old. She very politely asked, "Shall I help you?" I told her that she could if she wanted and was thrilled to be able to interact with her. She told me that she had three sisters and seven brothers! She and two of her brothers were helping out at the auction. She said that she likes to see all of the people. I then noticed that the little boys were receiving tips for carrying flowers for people. I only had twenty-dollar bills and no ones, so I looked in my change and found a gold Sacajawea coin. I showed it to her and asked her if she knew what it was. She said she had never seen one, so I told her that she could have it and explained to her that it was a coin worth one dollar and that she could use it just like paper money. Her eyes lit up and she proudly accepted it. I also gave her four quarters. It's not much, but I hope that the gold coin made her day. What a sweetie!
The auctions are held every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday throughout the summer, so I hope to go back with Kenny to get some more plants. You really can't beat the price. When you throw in the fact that you get to see the cute little Amish kids and the horse drawn buggies, it is quite a deal!
I haven't planted the flowers yet, but they sure do look pretty lining the walkway.
Hope, I cannot believe you got all those baskets for $32!! That's nuts! And, I would LOVE to go to see the Amish auction when we visit. How about it? Are there other things to see there?
ReplyDelete