Thursday, February 24, 2011

Riley Results!


Oh my goodness!  How cute is Ethan in his little hospital gown?!  We were at Riley Hospital's REACH Clinic for 4 hours today having Ethan evaluated by a developmental specialist and a pediatric psychologist.  We still do not have an official diagnosis of anything, but they did tell us that they do not believe that he has autism or sensory integration disorder.  We are so happy about that!  He does display some characteristics of each, but not enough to qualify for a diagnosis.  The psychologist said that many children at his level on the spectrum fall off as they get older, which is why they don't like to diagnose at a young age.  She thoroughly explained to us the criterion for diagnosing children with autism.  A child must exhibit at least 6 behaviors from the list that she showed us, and Ethan only displayed 2.  It's complicated, so I am summarizing what we were told.  As soon as she said he didn't have autism, I started to cry.  I felt crazy in doing so, but it was like someone had lifted a hundred pound weight off of my shoulders.  One that I had been carrying around for months.

We were told that he does have low muscle tone, and at some point, needs to have a lab work up to determine if there is a genetic cause, which would indicate other underlying issues.  Both specialists agree that there are motor planning issues (probably global apraxia), but are pleased with all of the therapy that he is receiving.  They want us to proceed with his therapy, as is, and contact them should any other developmental issues arise.  While we still don't have an official diagnosis, it was nice to rule some things out.  We love our little "Doodle Noodle" and have bright hopes for his future!

** He even spoke to people in the elevator and ........they UNDERSTOOD him!  I am over the moon!

3 comments:

  1. Hope! WOW..what great news. I am quite sure that tears would come after hearing that he doesn't have autism! You guys are such good parents to Ethan; he is so blessed to have you, and you him. Keep us posted - sounds as if he is on all the right tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is GREAT news and I'm so glad everything is falling into place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you that he is progressing so well! Ethan is so lucky to have parents like you that stay on top of his situation and work with him constantly. You are all blessed to have him in your lives.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...