It's Valentines Day! As a special treat, I made cake truffles for the family. I thought about making red velvet truffles, but everyone's favorite is just plain chocolate, so I dressed them up with some red jimmies. Last year, while I was searching the Internet for birthday party ideas, I noticed that almost every cute post included little cake balls, also known as cake truffles. After seeing them, I knew that I wanted to make them for Ethan's second birthday party. I searched and searched until I came across a recipe for them on Bakerella's website. I was ecstatic when I realized how easy they are to make. I made them for Ethan's birthday, and have made them for almost every holiday since.
Here is how I make them:
Use a boxed cake mix and bake it per directions. Let it cool completely. I often bake the cake the night before I want to make the truffles, so that I don't have to worry about cooling times. Next, over a mixing bowl, use your hands to crumble the cake into fine crumbs. Then, add about 3/4 of a can of ready to use frosting. Stir all of that together until it is thoroughly combined. It will be somewhat gooey and sticky. Next, cover it with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. That hardens it up a little to make it easier to work with. About 15 minutes later, use a cookie scoop (1-2 tablespoon size) to make little balls and then place them on waxed paper covered cookie sheets. If your balls aren't round, you will need to roll them in your hands to round them out. It is a little messy, so you will need to wash your hands a few times throughout the process. Once you have all of the balls on the waxed paper, put them back into the refrigerator to firm up again. While they are chilling, melt a package of chocolate almond bark. If it gets too thick, add about 2 tablespoons of vegetable shortening and stir together until smooth. Now, you're ready to dip. Take the balls out of the refrigerator and use a dipping tool to coat them in the melted almond bark. You will need to place them back onto waxed paper. If you want to add sprinkles, do it quickly before the coating sets. That's really all there is to it!
You can use any flavor combination of cake and frosting that you like. It's completely up to you. Bakerella's website includes photos of amazing cake balls and cake pops, as well as many other treats. I suggest you head on over there so that you can be inspired to try some of your own!


Those look great! I'm sure they were yummy! Love Bakerella, she has some great ideas!
ReplyDelete