Saturday, February 5, 2011

TIME TO SING!


I know that Ethan doesn't have an official diagnosis of apraxia, but everyone who has worked with him is pretty sure that he has it, so I have researched it to try to find ways to help him.  I found a non-profit organization dedicated to helping kids with this apraxia called CASANA (The Childhood Apraxia of Speech Association of North America).  There are lots of resources on their site for parents as well as therapists.  They also sell t-shirts, jewelry, books, CDs, and videos to support their cause.  I was lucky to find the CD "TIME TO SING!"  It contains 26 kid songs all arranged a bit slower so that kids with apraxia are able sing along.  David Hammer, a speech-language pathologist set the speed of the music and changed some of the lyrics to eliminate difficult sound combinations.  Ethan loves it, and Jacob does too.  Our hope is to use this CD to enable Ethan to practice songs that his peers will be singing in preschool, so that by the time he gets there, he will have sung them enough times that he will be able to speed up and sing right along with them.

1 comment:

  1. Again, can I just say what a great mom you are? You are doing everything possible to make your son's life better and you should be commended for that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...