Carter's Fifth Grade Farewell took place yesterday. The students started the day of with "The Walk", which is a final walk of the halls. All of the teachers stand outside their classrooms as the kids parade past. Some students and teachers cry, as they say their emotional farewells. There were lots of hugs and high-fives. The song "We Are the Future" also played over the speaker system.
All of the fifth graders wore their graduation shirts and caps that they made themselves.
After pictures back in the classroom, the teachers led their classes out to the nature center for the farewell festivities. They played circle games, Minute to Win It games, had sno-cones, a tug of war, and played human foosball. After all of that, there was a huge pizza party with a bouncy obstacle course. The kids all had a ball!
At 1:00, the school held an awards assembly and officially graduated the fifth graders. Carter received a few awards for strings, Friendly Helpers, Spell Bowl, and earned the Presidential Academic Excellence Award.
His teacher, Mrs. Menestrina, handed out an award to each of her students in the classroom. Carter was awarded "Friendliest Student".
I can't believe how fast Carter's elementary school years have gone by. It seems not that long ago, I was taking him to kindergarten at Davis Park with me. I didn't cry yesterday, but am fighting back the tears as I type this, thinking about how few the years are that we spend with our children before they go on to lead their own lives. I cherish every day, every minute, every second!
I would give Carter the "Friendliest" award too! That's awesome Carter! It's hard to believe that middle school is around the corner. For Maddie too! Scary how quickly it's all going by, eh?
ReplyDelete