Carter's birthday was in January, but Heidi and Brien planned a big "Birthday Bonanza" for him that took place yesterday. On the agenda was: the high ropes challenge course at Butler University, lunch, and then rock wall climbing. That's a pretty great 13th birthday celebration and Carter was very excited about it.
We met Heidi and Brien at the high ropes course. Brien, Kenny, and Carter participated while Heidi and I took pictures and entertained the boys.
Carter did a great job maneuvering through the course. It took a lot of upper body strength and he was the only kid there. He was a little nervous at first, but he faced his fear and killed it! I was so proud of him. Afterward, Brien had to take Spencer to the vet, so the rest of us went to get some ice cream.
After ice cream, we took the boys to the park to run off some energy before eating lunch and going to the rock climbing wall where we were going to meet up with Brien again. The park was huge, and the boys were having a really good time until I noticed Carter lying on the ground and a woman saying that he was bleeding. Kenny, Heidi, and I rushed over to see that he had his arm over his head and blood was dripping down the side of his face. Kenny moved his arm and we saw that there was a large gash through his eyebrow and the blood actually covered the entire right side of his face. People started to gather around to see what was happening and some offered to call an ambulance. Heidi told them that Kenny was a medical professional and had it under control. I took Jacob to search for Ethan on the play equipment while Kenny and Heidi tended to Carter. Kenny had asked for some cloth and no one had anything. A couple with a baby offered up a diaper to press against his head and then we all headed bask to the car. Kenny helped Carter walk to make sure he didn't fall down. Heidi directed us to St. Vincent's Hospital and Carter was stitched up in no time.
Carter was calm through it all and didn't shed a tear.
Carter is such a great big brother that he agreed to return to the scene of the accident so that Ethan and Jacob could finish playing at the park. This is the bench where it all happened.
Needless to say, we didn't make it to the rock wall climbing, but ended the day with dinner together. Even with 10 stitches, Carter says he had a great day. Seeing how he handled everything made me realize just how mature he really is. I am so proud of the young man he has become.


Oh my goodness! What a tough cookie. I can't believe you survived that too. I would have fainted from the sight of the blood. Tell Carter we hope he heals up soon.
ReplyDelete