Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Mrs. Fix It

During Ethan's third birthday party, back in July, we shut our dog Riley in the master bedroom so that he wouldn't get under foot.  It was too hot to keep him outside, so that was our best option, or so we thought!  At some point during the party, it was discovered that he had done THIS to our wall...


In an attempt to join the party, he clawed at the door, which led to him shredding the wall and ripping down the trim. Needless to say, WE WERE NOT HAPPY!
Now that our house is on the market, (forgot to post that we hope to move), it was finally time to get the wall repaired.  We had a contractor come over and set up an appointment to have it fixed.  Luckily, we didn't pay in advance, because the guy turned out to be a no show.  Kenny even called him when he didn't show up, and the guy assured him that he would be there in the afternoon.  Well, there was no call....no text....no show.  We still have not heard back from the guy!
So, what do you do when a contractor doesn't show up to fix your wall?  You try to fix it yourself.  I told Kenny that I wanted to try it and if it looked horrible, we could call someone else.  He agreed to let me try and the process began.


First, I cleaned the area and then patched and filled it with vinyl spackle.  Next, I sanded it.  I had to repeat that process and follow up with super fine sandpaper to get it smooth.  Ethan and I then took a piece of the wall to Menard's to get some paint matched.  The first try was a little too dark, so the guy working there said he wanted to try to tweak it.  I agreed and have to say that the guy is a paint matching genius!  The paint that I ended up with was a perfect match!

Ethan helped me paint the patch and 
TA-DA...
...the wall is fixed!
Because of where it is, unless you already knew that it was there, you wouldn't even notice.  There is a slight bump where the wire mesh ends in the middle, but other than that, it's as good as new.  We are just going to live with the scratched up trim.  No one sees it but us.
We saved a lot of money and I think it's not bad for my first try.

2 comments:

  1. HOPE! I am SO very impressed. How awesome are you? Stay-at-home Mom, and now contractor extraordinaire!!! Way to go! I've got to show this to Chad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! Instead of Bob the Builder it's Hope the Fixer!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...