Our area was hit pretty hard by a massive storm system Wednesday evening. After the tornado swept through Joplin, I was a little more focused on the forecast and the threat of severe weather. I fed the kids early and packed some things in case we needed to spend the night with my parents. We are very fortunate that they have a basement and are willing to take us in during tornado warnings, especially with Megan's phobia of storms. We had spent the evening playing in the backyard with the neighborhood kids, when the weather started to take a turn for the worse. After everyone went home, we got into the car and headed to my parents' house. We were under a tornado warning as we were traveling, and it was reduced to a severe thunderstorm warning once we entered their driveway. We all got inside and the weather appeared to be calm, so we talked and watched TV. At about 9:30, we sought shelter in the basement as the more severe weather approached. My dad stayed upstairs to keep an eye on the radar, and then joined the rest of us when the storm hit. My mom and I got a little worried because he came down the stairs with a weird look on his face and said, "It's here." Megan and Carter were on the floor covered with a quilt, and my mom and I were trying to keep Ethan and Jacob under control. We could hear the rain hitting the door to the basement and caught glimpses of lightning through the small windows. After about a half hour, the storm passed and we were able to go upstairs and get the kids ready for bed. It was during that time, that my friend and neighbor called. Knowing that Kenny was scheduled to work, she called to check that the kids and I were all okay. She then proceeded to tell me about what she experienced in the neighborhood, and I am so happy that we were not home. Her house suffered more damage than ours did, but thankfully, all of our neighbors were not injured.
I am posting some photos of our minor damage. It was nothing compared to some other damage that we saw in our subdivision, our city, and the surrounding states.
My dad and Kenny tried to replant this tree for me since only have of the roots were exposed.
Not sure if it will make it, but I will keep my fingers crossed.
Minor siding damage. We had some on the front, but I don't have a picture.
We lost quite a few shingles on the shed.
Our neighbors lost a large pear tree as it fell over their fence.
The boys' toys were heaped together, but not broken.
As you can see, we didn't suffer any significant damage. We were, however, without power from Wednesday night to Saturday at about 11:00. We have a refrigerator in our kitchen, and one in the garage. I was able to take all of the frozen items to my parents' house, but wasn't able to save the stuff in the fridge. Yesterday, I threw out a lawn and leaf bag plus a regular trash bag full of cheese, butter, condiments, vegetables, and other snacky things for the kids. I am happy to report that I got the fridge restocked with great Memorial Day sale items! Most condiments were in the 10 for $10 sale at Kroger!
Glad to be home.....safe and sound!
(And with food!)
I'm glad you all were okay and you didn't get any more damage than you did. It's rough being without power!
ReplyDelete