Thursday, September 8, 2011

Genetic Testing Results


FANTASTIC NEWS!!!

The doctor from Medical Genetics at IUPUI called today to give us the results of Ethan's genetic testing.  He had a CGH done which stands for Comparative Genomic Hybridization.  They mapped out each chromosome to determine whether there were any abnormalities, and in Ethan's case.....THEY WERE ALL NORMAL!!  What does this mean?  It means that Ethan does not have any chromosomal abnormalities, nor does he have a genetic syndrome that we know of.  We need to follow up with Dr. Torres on an annual basis so that he can monitor Ethan's development and keep us updated on any technological advances in the genetic field.  It may be possible, in the future, to break chromosomes down even further to identify potential problems and abnormalities. 

Tomorrow, Ethan is scheduled for an evaluation at the Covered Bridge Language Preschool.  All of the kids at this preschool have language related issues.  It is my understanding that the language preschool is two days a week, and there is an articulation class one day a week.  I will learn more about the program tomorrow.  Since Ethan has PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Delay-Not Otherwise Specified) he falls on the outside of the autism spectrum.  I am hoping that he qualifies for this preschool so that he can work on speech as well as build relationships with peers, which will hopefully aid him in coming off of the spectrum altogether.  That would be fabulous!

I was also contacted by a student clinician at the Rowe Center yesterday.  Ethan will be working with Miss Rachel on Tuesdays and Thursdays until December.  He loved working with Miss Megan last semester, and we are looking forward to meeting Miss Rachel.

As you can see, we are very busy and moving in the right direction!  I want to thank everyone who has said a prayer or two on Ethan's behalf.  He is one lucky kid to have so many people thinking of him! 

I will post about our visit to the preschool tomorrow! 

1 comment:

  1. I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU ALL!! Thanks be to God for this answer to your prayers!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...