Ethan went to visit the Covered Bridge Preschool and have an evaluation this morning. He was super excited to be going to "Carter's School". He jumped up out of bed and said, "Preschool today!" After I helped him get dressed, he squealed, "Yeah, I wear a shirt like Daddy!" He wanted to skip breakfast and head right to school.
Once there, he announced to everyone in the office that he was going to preschool and eagerly waited for the teacher to come out and greet us. After a few minutes, the teacher and speech therapist came out to ask me a few questions and to introduce themselves to Ethan. He started talking to them immediately, and the speech therapist had to change the sheet that she had grabbed because she said that he was talking far better than she had expected. He also named all of the colors of the ladybugs on the teacher's sweatshirt.
After that, I was left to read a book in the waiting area by the office, while Ethan went into the preschool room. About forty minutes later, a smiling Ethan returned with the teacher, and she told me that he did very well. She asked me if he already went to preschool somewhere because he participated as if he had always been there. She also said that if everything was based on classroom participation, he wouldn't qualify because he did so well. He enjoyed circle time, and got to be the flag holder, which I am sure he LOVED, since he has had a fixation with flags lately. He used to look for front doors with oval windows while traveling in the car, and now looks for American flags. He loved being in the classroom and even grabbed the teacher's hand and asked her to take him "back to see the children". We explained to him that it was time to go home, but were hoping that he would be able to come back again.
There is some scoring that needs to be done, and I will get the results at the case conference which is scheduled for the morning of October 25. At that time, I will find out if he qualifies for the program. If he does, he will begin the very next day. He thoroughly enjoyed everything about going to school, so I sure hope that he gets to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment