Ethan, Jacob and I got to fish with my grandma yesterday at my parents' house. We actually caught some too! It was nice and relaxing, so when it was time to leave to get Carter from the bus, we decided that we would just pick him up and come back out. We didn't have as much luck the second time around, but the boys and I enjoyed being able to spend time with my parents and my grandma. Some kids never get to meet their great grandparents, so I treasure the fact that my kids have gotten to know both of my grandmas. I only had one grandpa living when I was growing up, and unfortunately he passed before Ethan and Jacob were born. Carter was only one at the time, so he doesn't really remember him, but Megan does. I wish he could have lived long to enjoy a bowl of Peanut Butter Crunch cereal with my kids! It was his favorite, and it is one of my kids' favorites as well. And, I still think of him when I prepare pancake breakfasts for the family. Grandpa Hutch was the one who taught me how to watch for the bubbles to surface on the batter to know when to flip them. I think he and Ethan would have hit it off great! They are very similar, so I feel that a part of him lives on.
My Grandma Hutch was a real trooper yesterday! She is 86 and went mushroom hunting with my parents for almost three hours before we even got there. We enjoyed fishing with her and the boys are looking forward to her coming back to do it again.
As I have gotten older, I have realized that time is a precious thing. We don't know how long any of us will be on this earth, and I don't want to take one single day for granted. I am grateful for the time that I have had with my parents and grandparents and realize that others are not as fortunate as I am to have had that precious time. It made my grandma's day to see the boys yesterday. She said that just hearing them talk was music to her ears. It made my day seeing my kids making memories with my grandma.
I am looking forward to seeing my other Grandma (GG) and her husband, Bob, this summer. My grandma married Bob when Megan was a baby and is Gramps to us.
Time is precious because once it's gone, it's gone. Let's make the most of what we have!

No comments:
Post a Comment