Since picking strawberries at Cherrywood Farms, the boys and I had been wanting to return to pick the blueberries. We decided to go yesterday before I knew that severe storms were brewing just to the west of us. After lunch, we prepared to head out and noticed that it was sprinkling just a tad. As we drove, the rain started, and I told the boys that we may just have to visit the store to look for cherry jam and then pick the blueberries another day. Jacob started to cry because he was disappointed, and then all of a sudden, the rain stopped. We continued to the farm and saw that there were people picking blackberries, so we decided to take a chance and proceed down the lane to the back of the property where the blueberry bushes were. The staff provided us with a bucket and a ride to the patch on a golf cart. As soon as we got off of the cart, the sprinkling returned and we could hear the low rumble of thunder in the distance. We were the only people in the patch and the boys got to picking right away. It was nice having the whole place to ourselves so that we could wander and pick the best berries. Ethan munched on quite a few, but Jacob and Carter were quick to find plump berries and fill up our bucket. The boys didn't seem to mind the fact that we were getting wet. I had my hair in a ponytail, so I didn't mind either. It was actually kind of fun.
About ten minutes later though, the rain and wind picked up and the thunder was booming. I told the boys that we needed to wrap things up because it wasn't safe for us to be in the field with a storm quickly approaching. We walked to the shed to pay for our berries and the staff apologized for not coming to get us with the cart. They picked up everyone from the blackberry bushes and the strawberry patch, but forgot about us. I told them it wasn't a big deal, the boys loved being out in the rain. We were soaked, but loving every minute of it.
We paid for our berries and then headed to the store down the road. I found the jam and also some apple cherry butter, so I was happy. The boys each got an ice cream cone to end our little adventure.
I had to find an alternate route home, because the storm had knocked a tree down over the road. So, I wandered through the country, listening to the thunder, watching the wind blow through the trees, and with my boys enjoying their ice cream cones, thinking how blessed I am to have these kids in my life.

No comments:
Post a Comment