Tuesday, September 3, 2013

GG's Birthday


We did a lot in the couple days that we spent up north over the holiday weekend, but the main reason for the small getaway was to see my grandma for her birthday.  Her birthday was on Friday, but we weren't able to see her until Saturday.  My parents went up too and my mom made a hot milk cake.  It is a recipe that has been a family favorite for years.  Since Ethan thinks it's not really a birthday unless balloons are involved, we took her a balloon and a pretty bouquet of roses.  Her name is Rose, so we thought it fitting.  I didn't get a picture of them, but they were really pretty and perfect for my grandma. 
My grandma has lived a long good life.  She has been blessed with three wonderful children, 6 of us grandchildren, and now 10 great grandchildren, all of whom love her very much. 

There are some things from my childhood that still remind me of her when I see or smell them.  Here are a few of those things:

Sesame Street~  We didn't have cable when I was little, so every time I went to see my grandma we would be able to watch Sesame Street while eating breakfast at her house on the lake.

Individual cereal boxes~ When we were little, my grandma would buy the variety boxes of individual servings of cereal and we would get to choose what we wanted for breakfast.  I loved those things!  I think of her every time I see them in the grocery store.

Bananas~  My grandma always had bananas to cut up and put in our cereal.  The smell of them takes me to her dining room table at the lake.

Beefsteak Rye bread~  My grandma always had really good bread for sandwiches.  Sandwiches at her house were always way better than sandwiches at our house!

Jelly jars~  Every night before bed, at her house, we would get a small drink of water in glasses that either were, or looked like little jelly jars.

Weeping willow trees~  I remember watching the breeze from the lake blow through the weeping willow trees near her house.  I think that's why I now want one for my backyard.

I cherish the memories with my grandma and am so happy that all of my kids have gotten to know and love her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...