The boys are loving our home preschool. Ethan loves it so much that he doesn't want to go to the preschool at the elementary school, he just wants to stay home with Jacob and me. The boys also want to have school on the weekends. This house truly is a blessing for us. If I didn't have the basement, I wouldn't be able to do all that I want and I wouldn't feel like the boys were getting a "preschool" experience.
Here is some of what we've been doing...
Kenny and I have decided to withdraw Ethan from preschool and keep him home with me. It was a tough decision, but one that we feel is in his best interest. He should actually start kindergarten next fall, but because he is delayed in his fine motor skills, due to apraxia, I am going to work with him at home for the next two years to get him caught up. His birthday is only a couple weeks away from the cut-off anyway, so we want to give him another year to develop and let him be one of the older kids, instead of the youngest.
One of our biggest concerns in doing this, was limiting his social interactions with peers. I have searched our area and found that our library offers preschool activities where he and Jacob can participate in a group setting. They will listen to stories and do crafts. On Fridays, there is a class that also incorporates music. Our local children's museum also offers preschool classes with hands on activities and story time once a month. Not only will we have these outings on a regular basis, but Ethan is involved in soccer and will return to the Rowe Center for speech in a week or two. In addition to individual speech sessions, the Rowe Center has decided to implement a few group sessions as well. So this will serve as yet another opportunity for Ethan to interact with peers.
There has been a lot of contemplating about what is best for Ethan. Kenny and I are going with what our parenting hearts are telling us, and doing what we think is best for now. I look forward to having both little boys home with me every day and doing things that we love while learning at the same time. I decided to quit my job and stay at home for a reason. I am going to make the most of this amazing opportunity that I have been given.
Hope, I think it's great! You will NEVER regret having him at home more I can tell you that.
ReplyDelete