The boys have enjoyed learning all about teeth and dental health for the past two weeks. We read several books about visiting the dentist, taking care of our teeth, losing teeth, and the Tooth Fairy. Ethan can't wait for the day the Tooth Fairy visits him!
The boys could not wait to have preschool with Kinsey today. One, because they didn't get to see her last week because of a snow day. Two, because I told them that when she came we would play "Dentist". To say they were excited would be an understatement! Kenny helped me out with the dental dramatic play by providing us with some old scrub shirts for the dentists, as well as gauze, tongue depressors, gloves, and syringes (minus the needles). All I had to add was the jar of cotton balls from the Pet Vet Set, and a set of pliers from a toy toolbox.
We needed three of each of the objects that actually touched the mouth, and lots of gloves that needed to be switched between patients. I also washed the pliers between patients too. I am glad that Kenny provided extra tongue depressors because two of them got mixed up so we had to use new ones.
The kids had a blast taking turns being the dentist. They even enjoyed being the patient.
Earlier this week, Ethan and Jacob used toothbrushes to paint large teeth.
Today, the kids each got a large smile. There were 10 teeth on the top, and 10 teeth on the bottom, just like in their mouths.
Next, I demonstrated what would happen if they didn't brush their teeth. Plaque would begin to form. Yuck!
Finally, they used a toothbrush and white paint to brush the plaque away.
Our dental health unit was so much fun! I need to plan more fun units for the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment