Monday, January 17, 2011

Speech and OT

So many things have happened in the past few weeks regarding Ethan's therapy.  The First Steps ED team came out to reevaluate him to see about adding OT to his services.  The report came back in the mail a couple of weeks ago, and this time he failed all of the categories, even social.  He is a pretty smart and social child, but when they factor in his communication skills, it just brings everything down.  It looks worse on paper than it actually is.  Since getting the report, we have been waiting to hear word of a new speech therapist and the addition of OT. Ethan's regular speech therapist has been on maternity leave, so he has been without services for three weeks.  I finally received a call from our First Steps service coordinator at the end of last week.  Unfortunately, First Step has been hit with budget cuts and has gone through a little restructuring.  Instead of clinicians working for themselves, they are now required to go through an agency. Most of the clinicians have registered with the same agency.  The problem with that is that there was a problem with the agency's paperwork and they have not yet been certified.  What does that mean for Ethan?  It means that we are at a standstill.  OT cannot be added at this time, and they do not have another speech therapist that can service him.
Back in December, I had taken Ethan to Union Hospital Pediatric Therapy (UHPT) for speech and OT evaluations.  I am glad that I did, because it looks like we are now in need of those services.  First Steps is going to discharge Ethan, not because he no longer needs services, but because there are no clinicians available.  UHPT had been waiting to hear word from our insurance company before we could proceed there.  They finally heard something.  Evidently, our insurance company will not pre-certify any services, and will only cover ten visits per calendar year.  There is grant money available for families like us, but I was told that we have to wait on our first EOB (Explanation of Benefits) before we can submit an application for funding.  I spoke with the UHPT speech  and OT clinicians today.  They both have slots open for Ethan at this time, so he will begin OT this Wednesday afternoon.  He will have speech on Monday mornings starting next week.  I am a little nervous about starting the services without a pay plan in place.  I am hoping and praying that we qualify for the grant money and only have to pay $5 per visit. 
In the meantime, we are waiting to hear back from Indiana State University's Rowe Center.  Ethan was evaluated there in December as well, and we are supposed to find out if he made the cut some time this month.  That program includes two fifty-minute sessions weekly and is absolutely free.  I hope to hear something this week and will let you know as soon as I do.
Even without services, Ethan has made some pretty big gains during the last couple of weeks.  Here are some of the words that he is working on:

"zaisins"- raisins
"Eaf"- Ethan
"ya-yo" - radio
"Tatoe" - Pluto
"Nee" - Minnie
"Gammaw" - grandma
"Spica Me" - Despicable Me (currently his favorite movie)
"Car-ker" - Carter
"M-g-n" - Megan
"skoo" - school
"w-hrk" - work

We are so proud of his progress and he is too.  I love to see him attempt a new word and clap like crazy for himself when he gets if right. Of course, he looks at everyone around to make sure that they are clapping too.  (We are!)  I'm sure that I will have lots to post about after he starts his therapy at UHPT. 
Here are some pictures of Ethan from this past week:

Playing Sequence for Kids with Daddy!

 It takes lots of concentration!

Finally getting the hang of it!

Working hard on dot pages.

 Figuring out how to put the cap back on.
  

1 comment:

  1. Praying that you ge everything worked out. You are doing such a great job of staying on top of things!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...