A couple of weeks ago, when we visited my grandma, we also went to Shipshewana, which is a little Amish community. I had been wanting to go to Shipshewana for several years... decades really. Something about the Amish way of life intrigues me. Some people call it "simple", but I don't see anything "simple" about it. Since they don't use electricity, I would tend to think that everything they do is quite a bit more difficult and time consuming than for the rest of us. I love to see the horse and buggies, and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see the adorable Amish children! As we drove through the countryside, I saw lots of children working around their farms...BEAUTIFUL farms. I saw little boys helping their dad mend a fence, a little girl weed eating near the road, some kids hanging the clothes out to dry, and some riding their bicycles. I had my camera out, but most of the time, the car was going too fast to get a good picture. (The Amish don't really like to be photographed, so it's probably just as well.)
My Aunt Kris, Uncle John, and cousin Erin went with us to Shipshewana. The plan was for everyone to browse around the shops and then meet at the carousel at lunch time. That was the plan....however, little Ethan did not cooperate and caused quite a scene. He has an obsession with ovals and was fixated on finding them. So much so, that we could not leave one after he found it. He had a serious meltdown at the general store and screamed like a howler monkey all the way back to the car. Kenny and I pretty much missed the whole town, but what can you do? We had a thorough discussion in the car about how there is to be no crying and no screaming. He remembers it, because now, every time we go out, he says, "Efie (Ethan), no crying, no screaming." The other day at the store a baby was crying in the next aisle, and he yelled, "Hey, no crying! No screaming at the store!" I was thinking, That's right, buddy! Now, if we could only get you to adhere to those rules, we'd be set!
After the stint in the car, we were able to rejoin everyone at the carousel.
| Jacob and Daddy |
| Ethan and Megan |
| Carter |
| Jacob, Ethan, and Erin |
I did have a chance to make a few purchases while there. Ethan and Jacob have had a hard time sharing their toys lately. In an effort to teach them to take turns, I have been using the oven timer. When it goes off, it's the next person's turn. This proved to be a bit confusing for them. For some reason, they each thought that regardless of who had the toy, once the timer went off, it was their turn. I had told Kenny that it would be nice to have two different timers so that they could each have their own.
TA DA....
| Ethan's new timer....it MOOs! |
| Jacob's new timer...it QUACKs! |
Now there is no confusion! When I set the timers, Ethan knows that if he hears a "MOO", then it's his turn. Jacob knows that if he hears a "QUACK", then it's his turn. There was also a pig timer that was pretty cute, but the sound on that one was kind of annoying. I love my new timers! I have also had to use Ethan's for time-out. We set it for three minutes and he can't get up until his cow tells him to. So far, it's working, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
After shopping in the actual town, Erin, led us to the Rise N Roll Bakery. Delicious! I thought that Square Donuts, here in Terre Haute, made the best donuts on earth, but she proved me wrong!
| Piece of Donut Heaven! |
This, my friends, is the BEST DONUT EVER MADE! The cinnamon, caramel donut from Rise N Roll. I'm so glad that Erin introduced us! I also bought some granola bars, cinnamon raisin bread, and a cookbook. The donuts were, by far, the best.
We ended the day with a family meal at an Amish restaurant where Erin used to work. I hope to make it back to see all of the stuff we missed and to take a tour of a working farm. Of course, I want more of those tasty donuts too!
I am SUPER jealous of that donut. It sounds like absolute heaven to me! And, I too LOVE the Amish way of life. I always say that I wish I could have lived during Little House on the Prairie times. Kids did work, without complaining and the world wasn't nearly as crazy as it is now. Looks like you guys had a wonderful day (despite the 'oval' problem). And, hey, you never know - maybe Ethan's obsession with ovals, will lead him to the Oval Office one day!!! :)
ReplyDeleteIt looks like you had a great time! I've always wanted to go there. The timers are a great idea! You're always coming up with the best ideas!
ReplyDelete