Monday, July 2, 2012

Running at the Park

Carter is running cross country this year in middle school.   Practice started out being four days a week, and has now progressed to five.  I didn't know how much Carter would enjoy it, but he is loving it!  He can now run 4-5 miles without walking and his pace is improving.  Kenny has also helped him by running with him on days that he doesn't have practice.  The other day, I took Ethan and Jacob to the park to play while Kenny and Carter ran.  It's been really hot here lately, so it's nicer to run in the shade at the park than around our subdivision.
I don't know exactly when the cross country meets begin, but Carter will run his first race on the morning of July 4th.  It's the Fast Track Mile and goes through downtown Terre Haute.  It will be a timed run, and his coach has been great about giving the kids strategies.  For instance, he took the team to the race course and pointed out where the quarter, half, and three-quarter mile points were.  He told them that they will be able to see the finish line from the half mile mark.  He warned them not to start sprinting just because they could see it, because they will burn out before they get there.  He advised them to kick it into gear at the three-quarters of a mile mark instead.  I hope Carter remembers everything that he has been taught, but I am sure he will be just fine.






We've gone to the park so much, that Jacob can now climb up everything except the rock wall.



Ethan can now climb up the slides.  Normally, I tell my kids that slides are for going down only, but he needs to work on gross motor skills for his apraxia, so I let him climb up when the park isn't busy.




Carter thought this was a nice place to rest as Kenny and I rounded up the boys.
I will post about the race later on this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...