Today started out great! I got up and took Carter to school and then came home and fixed a pancake breakfast for the little boys and Kenny. We ate breakfast, Kenny left for work, I cleaned up the kitchen and started the dishwasher, and even gave the boys a bath all before 9:00. I was excited to get so much done before 9:00, that I even texted Kenny to tell him, and said, "I know today is going to be a great day!"
Kenny called home at around 11:00 and things suddenly changed.
I had gone in 10 days ago for a pap smear because of some spotting that started around 5 months ago. The first two months that it happened, I thought I might be pregnant, so I took pregnancy tests that yielded negative results. When it persisted, I thought that I better look into in it, and a pap smear was the next step. Kenny performed one in his office (kind of weird) and we had been anxiously awaiting the results. Little did I know, that during the exam, Kenny did see something suspicious. He didn't tell me because he didn't want we to worry over the uncertainty. He waited until the results came back.....which was today. I could tell by his voice that something was wrong. He proceeded to tell me that the results were atypical and that I have what is called a low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion, or LGSIL. He had seen it during the exam, but was hoping that it would turn out to be nothing. I began to cry, and he assured me that everything would be fine. I have always associated the word squamous with cancer, and to hear it was terrifying. Luckily,Kenny was able to schedule an appointment for me to see my gynecologist. At first, they said that they were booked and would not be able to get me in until sometime after the first of the year, but when they realized that I am a provider's wife, they squeezed me in tomorrow. I guess that's one of the perks to having a family member working in the field.
By the time Kenny came home for lunch, I had collected myself and was then able to research the diagnosis on the computer. Normally, Kenny doesn't advise doing so, but he knew that this time, what I would find would ease my anxiety. I learned that these squamous cells are not cancer. That's good news! Since mine are low grade, they are in the earliest stages of precancer and in some cases, can be fought off by one's own immune system in a couple of years. Often times, the cells are removed in the office. Only 1% of women have them progress into actual cervical cancer.
What started out as a great day, turned emotional and left me with a horrible headache. I am looking forward to seeing what the doctor has to say tomorrow and am confident that I will be just fine.
Oh my word Hope! I am so sorry that you had to deal with that scare. I am prayerful for you today, and praying that everything turns out OK. Sounds like it will.
ReplyDelete