Tuesday, August 16, 2011

One last treat and a walk down memory lane...


I promised the kids one last summertime treat before school started, so off to Green Acres we went!  My family and Green Acres go waaay back!  When I was younger, I lived on a 40 acre farm, which meant that there was always some type of work or chore to be done.  Sometimes it would be chopping and hauling wood to store for the winter.  Sometimes it would be putting up fencing for the horses.  On certain occasions, there would be vine collecting.  (My parents went through a phase of making grape vine wreaths.)  Some days, we just mowed the grass and weeded the garden.  I didn't like to mow the grass with the push mower and was ever so thrilled when my parents bought a riding one.  There was, however, one good thing about a scorching hot mowing day, and that was the fact that we almost always got a treat at Green Acres.  I remember pushing the mower, with sweat dripping off of my face, thinking (and hoping), I bet we go to Green Acres tonight!   There was just something about a sense of accomplishment and kicking back to enjoy a nice cold treat that I will never forget.  Now, did I moan and complain about chores and drive my parents crazy?  YES!  But boy, did I love to go to Green Acres!
I now live only 2 minutes from Green Acres, so my four kids know the place well!  It has changed a little since I was a kid, but the treats are just as tasty.  Buffalo used to roam where my kids now play on the playground.  I think that Megan is the only one of my kids to visit Green Acres while they were still there.  The boys would have loved it, but they enjoy the playground too.  I sometimes think about visiting Green Acres with my parents and two sisters.  It seems like only yesterday that we sat there eating our Bostons (a sundae dumped on top of a shake) and watching the buffalo.  Now, I watch my kids as they run around and hope that they have as many fond memories of Green Acres as I do.









2 comments:

  1. You took us there for ice cream a few years ago!! Do you remember that? Once I saw the photos, I remembered that is place! Did we actually eat ice cream there? I think we did. Anyway, how fun to relive your own memories with your kids. I LOVE doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so nice of you to take them for a treat before the start to the school year. They'll remember that like you did when they are older. Hopefully it will still be around when they have kids and they can take them there for a special treat!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...