Happy April Fool's Day!! I normally don't do April Fool's Day pranks because my sneaky, conniving ways are usually written all over my face, and I end up giving it away. Today, however, I decided to make the kids a special "April Fool's Day Dinner". There are so many wonderful ideas on the web that provide inspiration, that I cannot claim the creativity for myself.
Carter is having two of the neighbor kids spend the night tonight, so they joined us for dinner. They are both younger than Carter, so I thought they would enjoy the crazy dinner. I told them that we were going to be having corn dogs, french fries, orange slices and cupcakes. We also don't have soda at our house, so every time kids come over, my kids can only offer them water or milk. I know, boring, right? But, that's how it is. My kids can go through a 2 liter bottle in two hours, so we decided that it's best just not to buy it. The only time my kids get soda, which we call "pop", is when we order pizza. (Yes, I am a hypocrite....I drink diet Coke every day. I guess that's where, Do as I say, and not as I do, comes in to play.) Anyway, I told the kids that we could have Kool-aid with our dinner instead of milk or water.
Here is our dinner:
The "corn dog" is a Twinkie on a cookie stick.
The "ketchup" is strawberry jam.
The "oranges" are made by scooping out the inside of an orange and refilling the shells with orange Jello.
The "french fries" are sliced pieces of pound cake.
The "Kool-aid" is cherry Jello.
For dessert, we had "cupcakes".
There were two kinds. One kind was a Stove-Top stuffing "cupcake" with mashed potato "frosting". The other one was a turkey meatloaf "cupcake" with mashed potato "frosting".
I knew the kids would LOVE the unconventional dinner, but wasn't sure that they would want to eat the cupcakes. Carter and Madison surprised me when they tasted the cupcakes and said they were good! I will, no doubt, have to come up with something clever for next year's holiday dinner.
* I got the idea for the jello drinks and oranges at Meet the Dubiens.
What a cute idea! It all looks yummy!
ReplyDeleteHope..you are WAY too cool of a mom. I fear if my kids see this, they will wonder what is wrong with me and ask why I don't do awesome stuff like this. Then they'll ask to come live with you. After the week I've had, that would be fine with me. Sound good?
ReplyDelete