Friday, February 22, 2013

A Return to Basketball

Tonight was the first practice for Carter's spring season of basketball at the Wabash Valley Family Sports Center.  There are 9 kids on his team, so he will average 2 quarters of play time a game.  March 4th will be his first game, and from there on out, will be double headers every Monday.  
The team is a mixed bag consisting of kids with varying skill levels.  I think Carter and his friend, Riley, are the only two with middle school experience, and some of the kids just lack athletic ability altogether.  I must admit that being Ethan's mother has taught me a lot about patience and compassion.  Years ago, I would have given Kenny some looks and thought, Here we go!  We're probably not going to win a game!  I hate that I was ever that way, but I was, and that's horrible.  Now, I am actually happy to see kids out there giving it their all regardless of ability.  Good for them, and good for their parents for getting them involved in activities and supporting them!  
There is one child on Carter's team who shows evidence of having had a trach at some point in his life.  It made me wonder about the story behind it.  Was he born with a genetic syndrome?  Was he in a tragic accident?  Was he near death and on life support at some time?  Did his parents fear for his life and wonder if they would ever see their precious son play sports, or see him grow up?  Is his future uncertain?  I have no idea.  I am just happy that, right now, he is playing basketball like every young boy who wants to should.  It's not about having the best team or winning every game.  It's about kids having the opportunity to play recreational sports with their peers.  It's about every parent getting a chance to cheer their child on from the stands.
Carter may not be on an all star team, and may not win a game all season, but I hope he walks away with something more than that.  I hope he displays good sportsmanship at every practice and every game and accepts each of his teammates for who they are.  We don't always know the struggles that kids and parents  face, or the obstacles that they have overcome to be where they are today.  While this season will afford Carter the ability to strengthen his basketball skills, I hope that it will help him to strengthen his life skills as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...