Once again, it has been awhile since I have updated Ethan's progress. Luckily, he is doing so well, that that's the reason I don't have to update as frequently. The new semester of speech at the Rowe Center is well underway. Ethan works with Miss Katie on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The beginning was a little rough on me more so than Ethan. Miss Katie is a nice young lady, but just wasn't what I was expecting. We have loved all of our student clinicians and Ethan "clicked" with them right away. That didn't happen this time, so it made me nervous. While Miss Katie is nice, she doesn't appear confident in what she does and didn't even introduce herself to me the first day. She appeared to be very nervous and a little apprehensive about giving the screenings the first few sessions. I am not sure how much experience she has had with young children, as she does not talk about the activities enthusiastically to spark interest in Ethan. He tends to yawn and pull on his shirt for most of the time. He just seems a little bored. And on some days....A LOT bored! I will say that she has improved and has included colorful work boards and activities that appeal to Ethan, but is still not overly enthusiastic in her delivery. She also has no interest whatsoever in Jacob, but he insists on trying to talk to her every time he sees her.
This semester, Miss Katie is working on getting Ethan to properly make the /s/ and /th/ sounds. He was a little confused at first because one day he went to speech and he practiced making the /s/ sound and keeping his tongue behind his teeth instead of between them. The next session, he worked on keeping his tongue between his teeth to make the /th/ sound. At home, I am choosing to work on /s/ first, and then when he gets that mastered, I will move on to the /th/. All in all, I am still grateful for the opportunity to take Ethan to the Rowe Center and reap the benefits of their free program.
As far as Ethan's academics go, he is doing great! He is beginning to read and understands the concepts of rhyming and beginning sounds. He is also able to retell stories accurately. Our felt board storytelling kits have helped tremendously in this area. My main focus to this point has been language arts, but I will gradually implement more math activities. Ethan is also able to write his name and is taking up much less space in doing so. And, just this week, he colored a picture and stayed within the lines. This is a major accomplishment and shows us that he is gaining more fine motor control.
I registered Ethan for another season of soccer that should begin soon. It is a great activity to help him develop his gross motor skills. I was hoping that Jacob would be able to play on his team this season, but he needed to be three for the fall season, to be able to play in the spring. Oh well, he will be able to play next year!
Overall, Ethan is progressing and lessening the gap between him and his peers. Some days, he talks just like any other kid his age, and then others, he struggles to get his words out. His journey has had its ups and downs, but he seems to be managing it all. He is so strong and independent, and has a fabulous sense of humor. His infectious laugh can make you smile on the roughest of days, and assures me that everything is going to be okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment