Having two little ones in diapers is pretty costly, so we have been contemplating when to begin potty training Ethan. His therapists have told me that because he has low muscle tone and probable global apraxia, which affects muscle control and coordination, we shouldn't push the issue. They said that it would probably end up very frustrating for everyone. He knows when he has already gone, but doesn't have full control over holding it to make it to the bathroom. With that in mind, we thought that we would hold off on potty training until this summer, when he was closer to three. But, he had other plans. A couple of days ago, he started asking us to sit on the potty. We were shocked, since we hadn't been talking with him about it, and his potty chair was in the garage. With Ethan's eagerness to go on the potty, we decided to clean it off and bring it back into the bathroom. He loves to sit on it, but hasn't been able to "produce" anything to go in it. Taking his diaper off and putting it back on again is not the easiest task, so we will definitely be buying Pull-Ups this weekend. He is so cute and so proud sitting on his potty, so I snapped a picture of him this morning.
Years from now, I'm not sure whether he will be more upset that I took a picture of him on the potty, or that I took a picture of him wearing those bright orange pajamas!

Hope..years from now, I'm pretty sure it'll be the photo on the potty that upsets him the most. Just don't bring that out in front of future girlfriends! Of course, if you have any of Carter like this, he may want to use them to ward off any further girls that make him feel 'uncomfortable'!!! LOL!
ReplyDelete